Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Hump Day Hair Chat : BANGS

With everyone from Princess Kate, Kim K and our First Lady Mrs. Obama sporting bangs I figured before you run out and get some, lets chat first.  




Anytime a client sits down in my chair and says "I think I want to try bangs!". Two things go through my mind, first, " you shot me down, BANG BANG" (Cher if your reading, I love you and lets be friends) Cher is on constant repeat in the soundtrack of my thoughts.

 Second, "they're going to regret this". Most clients dive into bangs because they are bored with what they have or saw them on a celebrity and got inspired. But the reality is within the 6 weeks that normally passes between the cutting of the bangs and their next trim they decided they hate them and often come back saying "I think I am going to let the bangs grow in, don't trim them". 

Why is that? Well to start bangs are a MAJOR commitment. If your normal styling routine in the morning consists of washing and going , bangs are not for you. They sit smack dab on your forehead and when they are not styled, yikes what an eye sore!

Another problem is, you aren't quite sure how to style them once you get home. Sure they look great when you leave the salon, but they should your probably paying $40 or more for a PRO to style them for you!

I'm going to break it down: 
  • The Swoop bang- this is amazing and completely the easier of the bang styles to commit to. They look great on everyone and if I can make a suggestion, when having them cut never have the shortest piece or the starting place of the bang sit above the inside corner of the eye. Why? Because any shorter and they will look like you are growing out straight across bangs. When styling them you want to do three things. 
  1. Spray your roots with a volumizer, my personal favorite is Paul Mitchell Extra Body Daily Boost ($24)
  2. Pull the hair forward and in the opposite direction of where you want them to lay.
  3. Then place the brush on the other side of the hair and pull them up towards the side you want them to lay

Lifted and swooped!

The other style is the straight across. There are several variations of these bangs. I prefer the crescent shape.

They hug the forehead better and have a more adult stylish feel then the blunt straight line that can look more childish. When styling these bangs its best to use a flat brush to help keep them laying flat and neat. If you use a round brush the larger the brush diameter the better. Smaller diameter brushes are going to give you a curlier look so try to avoid them. Using the flat brush or large diameter round brush pull the bangs forward and down towards the nose. DO NOT lift up, this can make them stick up and give the appearance of a cowlick.

The bottom line is you have to choose what works for you and what will be easiest for you to maintain. Bangs can be sexy and can really change up your whole look! If you go for it make the time to get them looking right on a daily basis and wear them proud!!

Thanks for reading and Stay Beautiful!
Scissor Hands Jill

Check back for SATURDAY SHOP TALK ( this is my version of Coffee Talk with Linda Richman)

6 comments:

  1. YES. Bangs are always something you want but once you get them you're like why the F did I do this???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many people are like that! I agree when I had the shorter bangs I was pinning then over or back constantly until they grew !

      Delete
  2. Great blog Jill! I have never been without bangs so I am the reverse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading! I always have to have some sort of a bang also!

      Delete