Monday, May 13, 2013

MACtastic Monday: Eye Essentials

Seriously, I just can't get enough of MAC. It just seemed like the right thing to do to write about them and the things I love on a weekly basis! Todays topic... eye essentials, what I could not live without!

It all started about a year ago when my boss decided that we couldn't wear color, it was black only. So as the months passed the make up at work became louder and louder. Black eyeliner was my go to for years but with the all black everyday I started craving color in every aspect. So, I took a ride out to King of Prussia Mall to the MAC store and told them I need an eye make over!

They started me off with one of my favorite products: PREP + PRIME($24) highlighter in Bright Forecast. The applicator on this is a soft brush to it blends nicely and is easy to control.

You'd want to place this in four spots:
  • Under the eye brow to make your brows look more defined and to stand out
  • Above the brow for the same reason
  • In the inside corner of the eye to help make you eye appear more open
  • Under the eye to help eliminate dark circles and minimize puffiness
                                     



Follow that up with a  PAINT POT($18.50). If you haven't used a paint pot before now is the time to start! These are amazing they really grab the shadow to make it appear brighter and they hold the shadow all day for a longer lasting wear. They come in many different colors to suit a variety of shadow shades. However, I usually stick with the neutrals because they are good to use with any color. The one I bought this time was BARE STUDY (frost). It has this great shimmer to it and shines through even after applying shadow. It could also be worn on its own as an eye shadow if you wanted to wear makeup but didn't have a ton of time to get ready!

Apply this over the entire lid and create a nice even base.

Next up, the shadows! With having brown eyes, I told the girl I normally seem to gravitate towards blues but that I have been bored with the same thing and would prefer a change. Being that I went there looking to dive into some brighter color she set me up with CUSTOM PALETTE x4. At $57, this is a little on the pricey side but it is a great travel accessory and it comes with four shadow colors of your choosing. The palette is yours forever and it is interchangeable, as you use up colors or change your mind you can just pop new ones in and out.

The four colors I picked were :
  • Gesso- white used as a highlighter to hit under the brow and the inside corner of the eye
  • Naked Lunch- A rose gold champagne color used to cover the entire lid, its amazing 
  • Fig.1- A deep plum used to create depth with rich color and great pigment for in the crease 
  • Humid- at first I thought forrest green? But the girl was right this was perfect for the outside corner of the eye to compliment the over all look





I applied the shadows using my go to MAC shadow brushes

  • MAC 213 ($23)- YES, I have two of these. One for lighter shades and one for darker shades
  • MAC 227($31)- this is used for blending the shades and removing any excess powder

Lastily, liner and mascara to complete the look. The liner she picked for me is amazing! I have been wearing it almost everyday! It's PEARLGLIDE INTENSE EYELINER($16) in Designer Purple. This vibrant shade of purple has a built in purple sparkle that is super trendy and really makes the color pop. It has a smooth applicator and is very soft the touch. To add to this I paired it with KOHL LINER($16) in Minted. The green really tied the colors together and gave it a bit of a bolder feel.
 My go to mascara is ZOOM LASH($16). It really holds the lashes in place and separates as it lengthens. 



See how fun color can be? Hope this helps you the next time you are out shopping for new goodies. I really encourage you to put down the black and try something different. Remember makeup is not permanent, if you try something and dislike it no worries, grab a remover wipe and start over. 

I hope you liked the blog , I could talk about MAC for days! Next Monday we will talk full face coverage: mineral vs. liquid.

Thanks for reading, Stay Beautiful,
Scissorhands Jill 

Check back on Wednesday for Hump Day Hair Chat: How to get them bangs right!



6 comments:

  1. Love the daily chat names. Looking forward to hump day hair

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love MAC. I wish Sephora carried it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! But I think part of the draw for MAC is they have that exclusivity ! Feels special because you can't just get it anywhere!! Thanks for reading!

      Delete